What’s The Wave Start?
It’s pretty simple actually. Instead of one big start with all 50,000+ people taking off at once, we divide everyone into about 100 waves. They’re organized by people’s expected pace so that everyone can run with people their own speed. Waves start with the fastest runners, then go to slower runners, then joggers, then walkers.
Do All Waves Require Qualifying? No!
How Do I Pick What Wave To Be In?
When you register you just pick which type of wave you think you belong in. You’ll automatically be put in a wave that is right for you. Learn more about the Wave Categories on the right.
Can I Start With Friends or Family? Yes.
To be in the same start wave as someone else, register everyone online or in person at the same time. Just enter everyone’s name in the appropriate field. Qualifying rules will apply, and everyone in your group will be placed in the slowest person’s wave.
If your friends are already registered, check the Friends and Family Search Page to see which wave they’re in so you can enter it when you register. Waves do fill up and they are first-come, first-serve, but we’ll do our best.
Can I Change Waves Once I Register? Yes.
As long there is room in the wave you want. You’ll need to return your bib and timing tag to our store before May 26, or to the SportsEXHIBIT on race weekend. For a $10 bib change fee we will get you switched. Keep in mind that you won’t be allowed to move up to a faster wave on race day.
How Do I Enter a Qualified Wave If I Want To? Five ways.
- Use last year’s BolderBOULDER 10K time: Anything 1:08:00 or faster gets you in the perfect qualified wave for your pace. Check your results.
- Use last year’s ColderBOLDER5K time: Anyone who finished faster than 32:38 minutes automatically gets in a qualified wave. Check your results.
- Use other races: Any timed race between two miles and a marathon completed within one year of the upcoming BolderBOULDER gets you in a qualified wave. Check the Equivalent Times Chart to see how your race time translates to a 10K time. Please note, the BolderBOULDER does not accept gps or fitness apps or tracking devices as proof of qualifying (i.e. Fitbits, Strava, Map my Run, etc)
- Use our treadmill test: Qualify for free by running two miles at our BolderBOULDER store until May 26, or at the SportsExhibit on the Pearl Street Mall May 27 and 28th 10am-6pm. We’ll cheer every step of the way, and get you in the right wave for your best race experience.
- We will hand out qualifying cards and can register people for BolderBOULDER at the Dash N Dine Race Series on May 16, 2017.
What Other Races Can Be Used To Qualify?
Any timed race over two miles completed within one year of the upcoming BolderBOULDER gets you in a qualified wave. Check the Equivalent Times Chart to see how your race time translates to a 10K time. Find a race near you!
- Six Pack Series – Westminster, CO
- Sharin’ O’ the Green – Fort Collins, CO
- Pyro Memorial 5k – Boulder, CO
- The Gift of Life and Breath Race – Aurora, CO
- Canyonlands Half Marathon and 5 Mile Run – Moab, UT
- All-Out Spring Fever – Golden, CO
- Spring Fling Prairie Dog Half/10k/5k – Arvada, CO
- Hope House 5k and Fun Run – Arvada, CO
- Xterra CMSP 24K/12K/5K – Colorado Springs, CO
- 8th Annual Frank Shorter RACE4Kids’ Health 5K – Broomfield, CO
- Hams and Hamstrings 5K – Colorado Springs, CO
- Colorado Women’s Classic – Westminster, CO
- All-Out Beat the Heat – Westminster, CO
- Hometown Race Series Erie Half and 5K – Erie, CO
- Co Lungs4Life – Brighton, CO
- Miles for Mental Health – Boulder, CO
Qualified Running Waves
Require proof. The first 31 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 68 minutes. Proof must be within one year of the upcoming BolderBOULDER. Check the Equivalent Times Chart to see how your race time equates to a 10K time.
Non-Qualified Running Waves
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to jog, and finish between 70 and 90 minutes (11:16 – 14:29 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to jog more than walk, and finish between 1:30:00 and 1:40:00 (14:29 – 16:06 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to walk more than jog, and finish between 1:40:00 and 1:50:00 (16:06 – 17:42 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to walk, and finish between 1:40:00 and 2:16:20 (17:42 – 22:00 per mile).
All participants must pass the intersection of Folsom and Arapahoe by 11:30am, and finish by 11:45am to stay ahead of the Pro Race. For the last wave, this works out to a 2:16:40 finish time and a 22:00 pace.