WHAT’S THE WAVE START?
It’s pretty simple actually. Instead of one big start with all 50,000+ people taking off at once, we divide everyone into about 100 waves. They’re organized by people’s expected pace so that everyone can run with people their own speed. Waves start with the fastest runners, then go to slower runners, then joggers, then walkers.
Do all waves require qualifying? No!
The BOLDERBoulder is open to everyone. Only the first 30 waves require qualification — meaning people in those waves provide proof of their running pace. All other waves are open to everyone on a first-come, first-serve basis. Qualified Waves are only for people who finish faster than 68 minutes.
How do I pick what wave to be in?
When you register you pick the type of “Participant Category” you think you belong in. You’ll automatically be put in a wave that is right for you. Learn more about the Wave Categories on the right.
Can I change waves once I register? Yes.
If you want to change waves or run in a qualified wave, we can make that happen, assuming there are still bibs available in the wave you want. For $10, bib changes can be done at the solutions tent on race day or through our race office. To request a bib change, please email us. Keep in mind that you won’t be allowed to move up to a faster wave on race day.
Can I start with friends or family? Yes.
To be in the same start wave as someone else, register everyone online or in person at the same time. Just enter everyone’s name in the appropriate field. Qualifying rules will apply, and everyone in your group will be placed in the slowest person’s wave.
If your friends are already registered, check the Friends and Family Search Page to see which wave they’re in so you can enter it when you register. Waves do fill up and they are first-come, first-serve, but we’ll do our best.
How do I enter a qualified wave if I want to? Four ways.
- Use last year’s BOLDERBoulder 10K time: Anything 1:08:00 or faster gets you in the perfect qualified wave for your pace. Check your results.
- Use last year’s ColderBOLDER5K time: Anyone who finished faster than 32:38 minutes automatically gets in a qualified wave. Check your results.
- Use last year’s FORTitude 10K time: Anything 1:08:00 or faster gets you in the perfect qualified wave for your pace. Check your results.
- Use other races: Any timed race between two miles and a marathon completed within one year of the upcoming BOLDERBoulder gets you in a qualified wave. Check the Equivalent Times Chart to see how your race time translates to a 10K time.
Can I submit my race to be a qualifier? Yes!
Any timed road race over 2 miles that posts results online can apply to be a BOLDERBoulder qualifier race.
As a qualifier race, you agree to promote your event as a qualifier for the BOLDERBoulder in at least two social media posts on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. All qualifier races will be promoted on BOLDERBoulder social pages two weeks before your event.
Submit your race here and we will contact you if your race has been selected.
What other races can be used to qualify?
Any timed race over two miles completed within one year of the upcoming BOLDERBoulder gets you in a qualified wave. Check the Equivalent Times Chart to see how your race time translates to a 10K time. Find a race near you!
- Love ‘Em or Leave ‘Em Valentine’s Day 5k/10k – FEB 9 / Parker, CO
- Old Man Winter Bike Rally & Run – FEB 10 / Lyons, CO
- Westy Six Pack 5m/5k – FEB 16 / Westminster, CO
- Highlands Ranch Six Pack 5m/5k – FEB 17 / Highlands Ranch, CO
- All-Out Mardi Crawl – FEB 23 / Lakewood, CO
- Animal House Run Fur Fun 5k – MARCH 2 / Fort Collins, CO
- Westy Six Pack 5k/10k – MARCH 2 / Westminster, CO
- Highlands Ranch Six Pack 10k/5k – MARCH 3 / Highlands Ranch, CO
- Erin Go Braugh 7.77k – MARCH 16 / Westminster, CO
- St Patrick’s Day Fun Run – MARCH 17 / Boulder, CO
- All-Out Spring Fever 1m, 5k, 10k & Half Marathon – MARCH 24 / Golden, CO
- Flying Pig 5k – APRIL 7 / Fort Collins, CO
- All-Out Beat the Heat – APRIL 13 / Westminster, CO
- Spring Fling Prairie Dog Half, 10k & 5k – APRIL 14 / Arvada, CO
- Hope House 5k & Fun Run– MAY 4 / Arvada, CO
- Colorado Women’s Classic – MAY 13 / Westminster, CO
- Frank Shorter Track Classic – MAY 18 / Boulder, CO
Qualified Running Waves
Require proof. The first 31 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 68 minutes. Proof must be within one year of the upcoming BOLDERBoulder. Check the Equivalent Times Chart to see how your race time equates to a 10K time.
Non-Qualified Running Waves
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to jog, and finish between 70 and 90 minutes (11:16 – 14:29 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to jog more than walk, and finish between 1:30:00 and 1:40:00 (14:29 – 16:06 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to walk more than jog, and finish between 1:40:00 and 1:50:00 (16:06 – 17:42 per mile).
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to walk, and finish between 1:40:00 and 2:16:20 (17:42 – 22:00 per mile).
All participants must pass the intersection of Folsom and Arapahoe by 11:30am, and finish by 11:45am to stay ahead of the Pro Race. For the last wave, this works out to a 2:16:40 finish time and a 22:00 pace.